27.6.10

Oh mah god are these used?!




Old photos from Vietnam back in the day, unsure of the years, my mom said it was my "grandpa's time" Ignore the strange flowers, they were part of a powerpoint email forward from a grandpa's friend.

According to my mama* it's gross. The thought that vintage/used clothing can be fashionable and awesome is not really possible to my mama, unless it's from her closet. "What if that person was dead?" she mutters with a tone of worry and disgust. Trying to cope with my love for old and used clothing and items, she blabbers more about selling her old items so she can make money like these people. My mama has never gone vintage shopping with me. She tells me to hurry up as I grab a cute pair of leather Etienne Alger muted tan pumps made in Italy in mint condition and a stripped business skirt made in Japan all for a good steal of $15 from a vintage store sale somewhere out in the suburbs of Australia. I took a great deal to get there from getting off at a dreary stop on the subway to a good 15 minute walk. My mom was scared to walk into the neighborhood so I tried to assure her that all the "cool kids" do it too, while I attempted to thwart her attention away from the haphazard graffitied walls of empty industrial buildings and shattered glass bottles on the floor to the sprinkled bits of hipster teenagers going to the same destination as me. It's okay mama, I promise.

* mama is mom in Chinese (妈妈)


Vintage photo in front of the white house they lived in California, fyi I never wore that blue dress.

Before most of my "vintage" items came in the form of my mama's ever growing collection of clothing from the 80's and 90's. Refugee vintage if you so will, the kind of vintage that holds memories that I will never be able to fully understand. My mama never really threw her clothing away.  Contained in her closet lies memories faded from the wear and tear of forgetting and living. The warm sun no longer pink when it sets.  There was something strangely comforting knowing I was wearing something my mama once wore. Once wore when she walked through the streets of New York fresh tired eyes peeking over a landscape that her daughter will one day call home. Clothing that protected her skin against the cold leather benches of the greyhound bus bound for California as the trees and nicely paved roads scurried past too busy to notice.  

It was like the possibility of those memories living once again, without words. Unspoken. Her threads speak as threads have always spoken to me.

Threads speak to me. They speak in a way that a lover's gaze lingers in your mind even after they are long gone. You long for it again. The echoes of a rapid stitch as needle threads fabric, repeatedly, over and over, masks the sounds of her kids growing up in a culture she may never full understand.

There was never a dull silence in my house.

Today, the sounds are replaced with honks, shouts, and other noises that a city makes when it feels stuffy, grumpy, and sweaty all at once. Noises my mother understands. I find myself in Vietnam, where vintage is not as popular in contrast to the high fashion stores pushing their way through the already cramped and awkward urban landscape of "economic development." Here I am always on the prowl for vintage items and with the help of some great locals I have had some great finds and wanted to share it with you.

Duong Ho Huan Xuan (Street), District 3, Ho Chi Minh City

On this street you will find sprinkled bits of old man clothes to second hand purses. I particularly go to this one store that sells only vintage shoes that they get from Thailand. They have a great selection, but very few sizes, its either a hit or miss, so if you do find one... its feels oh so special. The street ends with a hoard of non-vintage shoe stores and a school with a lot of fat cute spoiled kids. Price ranges from $5 - $30. (The shoes/purses, not the kids)

Frames/ glasses carts: Behind the bus stop in front of Cho Ben Thanh (Market), District 1, Ho Chi Minh City

A friend told me about this one after I went nuts over her awesome glasses frames that reminded me of my big purple marble ones from the 4th grade. On this street hidden away due to the rather distracting and lovingly chaotic bus station, there is a bunch of carts selling used glasses frames, watches and the likes. I was able to find some great strong frames here that can be easily made for your prescription glasses or sunglasses at any glasses store in Vietnam. Price ranges from $2 - $3. Be sure to bargain.


CON QUẠ ĐEN RETRO & VINTAGE SHOP
JUST heard of this have yet to go but sounds exciting. The same friend with cool glasses also linked me to this on facebook. It seems to have vintage dresses and designer vintage purses so it's a bit pricier than I would like but I will check back after I go hunt down for the store. If you'd like to hunt it down before me please do and tell me about it! Price range: $10 to $350.



141 - Lầu 1 - Phòng 14, Nguyễn Trãi, Q.1
 Ms. Minh - 0909.382.328 - 08.6291.0985 





shop.conquaden@gmail.com



"Hoàng Minh (Quạ is her nickname at home) is a freedom twenty-seven year old girl, after 5 years studying in HCMC University of Architecture and 2 years working in Advertising (Lowe World Wide agency). She loves to find inspirations everyday about fashion, photography, art, vintage, retro, collage, eating, traveling and so much more. Now she opens her retro & vintage shop for sharing cute little things she found on her way."

Her website/blog page. (Scroll past the entry about the moon cup, haha, and you will find her cute fashions.)

Cho (outdoor market) next to Dai Hoc An Giang (University)

There are two stalls that I go to:

1. a lady that sells vintage purses and clothing and miscellaneous. Cute cozy crammed with fluorescent lights hovering over you while purses dangle from the ceilings. Price range $1 to $6
2. a lady that sells many many many jackets and is covered them like they are pouring out of a pool already too full of clothing. Price range: $1 to $3 


And now the warm sun sets pink.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails