15.10.11

I like to read magazines backwards.

Sitting in Chinatown, Los Angeles I was feeling the humidity wrap around me. I was wearing two layers of clothing and didn't mind. I sort of miss the humidity of Vietnam. I can take the heat you see. Zach Galifianakis is staring to me from the left. Why is he on the cover of GQ magazine? Confused I pick it up and glance through it. I like to read magazines backwards. Maybe because there are so many pictures but that is what I like to do. I used to think that it was because I was Chinese and that Chinese books are written from the right to the left rather than right to the left.

I've been feeling a bit funky these days as you probably know. I realized that I cussed a bit too much in my last post due to a lack of better words. Lately I have been feeling a bit blank. Blank when it comes to people asking me things about my life. I draw but a blank. Sort of like that glazed feeling you get when you are driving on the freeway for a while, the lights begin to flow into one another, and what is in front of you is no longer the road, or a car. This time its a different kind of funky. A type of funky that I don't really feel like talking about, a funky that I don't want to deal with, a funky that I don't think I will overcome anytime soon.

SPERMDL That's what is said on this ladies Mercedes as I was sitting on plastic green chairs in Chinatown, Los Angeles. I was getting my air conditioned fixed by my dad's long time friend who's a mechanic there. I was quiet excited to be there, especially since he was part of the Chinatown community since he came from Vietnam back in the late 70's/early 80's. I talked to his wife. She told me much about her older son who was about to get married. He makes 6 figures and recently just figured out his life in the last 4 years or so. He studied to be an artist. She has another son who is almost exactly one month older than me. May 30th. I was born on June 28th. Her husband, Uncle David, decides to argue with her the date of my birthday, while I am standing in between them.

Nope, she's born on June 30th.
No she isn't...she just said...
No, June 30th! Exactly one month after our son because when we called them to come to our son's 1 month birthday she went into labor!
No, but she said her birthday is....
Yeah my birthday is June 28.

I love this. I freaking love this kind of stuff. I spent most of the afternoon talking to his wife in Vietnamese. I was suddenly very happy that I could speak Vietnamese because had I not been able to, who knows how long our conversation could of last, perhaps a fraction of what had been.

---

Today I called my cousin James to try to ask him if he wanted me to make tacos for him. He's 11. My grandpa picked up the phone and since he spends most of his days by himself I decided to chit chat with him. He's always happy to hear from me, I am his favorite grandchild. I know this for a fact because one time he was like:

You are my favorite grandchild.

It's nice to know you are loved. I told him how I just got off a job interview and it was sort of whatever. He was ecstatic and said I would for sure get the job. Then he talked to me about Obama and something about his job plan. I then told him I got my air conditioning fixed in my car, and he equally ecstatic about this piece of information.

Make sure you call me and update me on your life. I like to hear these things.


---

Everything is going to be okay. I have to remind myself of that.


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails