24.7.11

Sometimes I am filled with an overwhelming sense of hopelessness.

Similar to the realization that your existence may be moot or to that "fuck my life" feeling after watching an idealistic love movie.

You all know exactly what I'm talking about.

Oh that feeling. 
Yes, that feeling.

I don't have much to say about this at the moment because my brain feels really fried. Sizzle sizzle.

---

If you haven't googled JK Rowling Speech at Harvard yet you should. I'm not going to leave a link here because you probably won't click it. She speaks truth and mirrors a lot of what I follow in life.

---

I have just about over three weeks left. I think I've entered that insanity pre-departure state. Everything is just so full of emotion for me right now. Getting that nuoc mia, getting that pho, doing my workshops, packing my life into a luggage, gradschools, goodbyes, realizations, work work work, saying no to people who want me to carry things back for them, pretty darn great but I'm exhausted.

---

It's July ya'll! And I just went to the rural areas to visit homes of potential scholarship recipients. Just thought you might like to take a peak and what I see. I absolutely love their homes, the wood, and the things they use to decorate. Beautiful.

"What is that fruit?" a scholarship recipient asks. A rare one!
Rice grains 



This family is from the central region and moved down to the Mekong Delta. You can totally tell with the hot tea they served me.


Video:

Out on a program scholarship house visits to conduct interviews for new scholarships. Here I am on a motorbike with a teacher and a student going to each of the houses. (With the student who knows where everyone lives and is guiding us as we conduct interviews.) People really know each other, a real community, and many of the teachers I meet really care about their students. This is a typical moment in my work and I'll miss this part of my work a lot.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails