16.3.10

if

I had a hammer...I used to love to sing this song when I was little during assembly time when we had to sing songs with Dr. Burger our elementary school piano player. If we take it retro to the days youtube did not exist and I discovered songs through radio waves, I had NO IDEA this song was sung like this with such an up beat tune. I am strangely upset. This is like finding out santa claus didn't exist.

Yet, after some very reliable research (thank you wikipedia) I knew my ears wouldn't lie to me. "The song 'If I Had a Hammer' was a Civil Rights anthem of the American Civil Rights movement" [via wikipedia]I use dto sing it with such a solemn tone with what I probably imagined to be remnants of folk songs from the south. How strange...here are a few versions.




No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails