12.3.10

One

thing that I have not done enough is talk about my work here. In the midst of falling motorbikes, falling into rice paddies, dancing, learning how to ride a bike and hiding from the sun, I also spend a large portion of my time in Vietnam volunteering at an anti-human trafficking NGO in Long Xuyen, Vietnam along the Vietnam and Cambodian border. It is a project of the Pacific Links Foundation, called ADAPT (An Giang/Dong Thap Alliance for the Prevention of Trafficking). I work on a variety of English capacity things, but by far the most eye opening is my field visits and meeting the young women of the mekong delta.

I will keep you posted on my experience as I go, the last six or so months have been nothing but inspiring and tiring, leaving me speechless and unable to really process what I was seeing, hearing, and experiencing.

For now I will leave you an inspiring video which I found on this volunteer's blog about her journey working at another anti-human trafficking NGO that prompted this post about my work, because prior to this, my blog has been focused on my love for music, fashion, and other nerdy nonsense (which I will not stray away from). I guess I used this blog as an outlet to remind myself of the things I loved and enjoyed in life, the things that made me happy, the "other" experiences that I was having over the mekong, because maybe I didn't want to process the things I saw at work yet.
But now I have, and now I will.


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails