8.11.13

Today I felt an overwhelming sense of disappointment.

It overcame me just now as I'm studying. While studying I procrastinate by perusing Facebook and the articles posted. The myriads of articles posted. Everything disappoints me from a negative comment of a class mate on the hopkins Facebook page, to the sad articles that are real or not real seeped with gender inequality, racial discrimination, oppressions, injustices, every single nook and cranny. This is Facebook depression. Then I am overcome by a really overwhelming sense that the world does not think like me and a sense of disappointment for a lack of better words.

I thought about it for another few seconds, and I realized that in the midst of hours of studying and going from class to class, to a lesser extent do I get of the warmth, support, and laughter intellectually, theoretically, and philosophically as I did back home. This is not to negate the wonderful experience I've had with the wonderful new friends I've made. I'm mostly focusing on the negative aspects that I haven't really spoken about. I have removed myself of my comforts literally and figuratively. Stripped of my support system that I had build, including family, friends, familiar faces and boyfriend, I left it all behind to be here and it's not easy. At home, there was a shared sense of struggle. The kind that I learned about when I was at Berkeley. The kind that I grew up with, the kind that exist in the sewing factories of los angeles in the humming drums of needle, thread and immigrant chatter, the kind in the kitchen of warm aroma of food and gossip of refugee mothers, the kind at a civil rights organization focused on the empowerment of asian americans while building a collective vision of other people of color. A collective unspoken struggle manifested in my friends' and family's work, every day surroundings and our livelihood.

Here - literally and figuratively - this is not the case. Or is it?






No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails