10.5.10

Dengue Fever in HCMC

I probably played one of their songs in every other show I had.

I had too.

It was something about being in the air studio, alone, with just me, scattered cd's, clicks, and buzzin' that made me want to play some Cambodian tunes. Amidst a three hour hectic set of me running around trying to find things to play while doing 20 other things at once occasionally on no sleep, I found them to be appropriate.

And how appropriate it was.

As I was sitting lazily waitin' to catch the 4:15 bus back to Long Xuyen, Vietnam, I get a text from a friend saying their show started at 5:30 pm. Seeing that I would be extra mad at myself for missing their show by a mere hour or so, I went.

There was something about the Mekong river, with the sun just tucked in, and probably the chit chatter hum of rich people talk that set the mood. As they took the stage the leader singer, Chhom Nimol, said something about not wanting to trip on her high heels. Calling our attention to her high heels.

Their performance was nothing short of awesome.  Leaving me wanting some more, luckily they will be playing a show next Friday as well.

One of the most down to earth bands I've met. Afterwards, I caught the 11:15 pm bus back to small town Vietnam, lights glazing by, Vietnamese clatter lingering in the backdrop, and fluorescent lights kissing the dark and all I could think about was how I loved it all.

Will post photos soon.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails